Updated regularly. The FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals brings together contributions from experts around the world dedicated to film preservation, cataloguing and documentation. Contains a wide range of databases:
- International Index to Film Periodicals
- The main database, the International Index to Film Periodicals, contains over 400,000 article citations from more than 330 periodicals. Offers in-depth coverage of academic and popular film journals. Each entry consists of a full bibliographic description, an abstract and comprehensive headings (biographical names, film titles and general subjects). Also offers film periodical indexing using a hierarchically ordered controlled thesaurus with more than 20,000 subject terms. Contains comprehensive television periodical indexing until 2000 and TV related articles from film periodicals continue to be indexed. Includes the years 1972 to present.
- Treasures from Film Archives
- This database contains credits and holdings information about the silent-era film holdings of film archives from around the world. It is conceived as a tool to aid the work of preservation and scholarly research, and provides brief identification information on over 40,500 works. The database encompasses features as well as short films, and actualities as well as fictional works. Citations indicate original title, alternate titles, and key credits and production information. Please note that although most records in this database describe films made before 1929, the database also includes a few silent works produced during the sound era. Includes the years 1890 to 1956.
- Documentation Collections
- Detailed information about the documentation collections of the world's foremost film archives, libraries, and educational institutions.
- FIAF Members' Publications
- The FIAF Members' Publications search allows you to find detailed information on books, pamphlets, programmes, and other materials published since 1966 by FIAF archives. Please note that the earliest default search date for publication year on this page appears as 1934 because for serial publications (e.g. annual reports, journals) the first year of publication is noted. For comprehensive indexing search from 1966 onwards.
The International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF) brings together institutions dedicated to rescuing films both as cultural heritage and as historical documents.
Founded in Paris in 1938, FIAF is a collaborative association of the world's leading film archives whose purpose has always been to ensure the proper preservation and showing of motion pictures. Today, more than 120 archives in over 65 countries collect, restore, and exhibit films and cinema documentation spanning the entire history of film.
Search this database along with its two companion databases (AFI (American Film Institute) Catalog and Film Index International) at Film Indexes Online.