- Top Indexes and Databases
- Bibliographies, Catalogs and Union Lists
- Biographical Sources
- Handbooks, Manuals and Sourcebooks
- Histories, Surveys and Miscellaneous Publications
- Archival Repositories and Special Collections
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
Indexes more than 2,000 periodicals published worldwide on architecture and design, archaeology, city planning, interior design, and historic preservation.
- LexisNexis Academic
Full text of more than 350 newspapers from the U.S. and around the world, many same day of publication, including extensive archives for many titles.
- Austin-American Statesman Archives
Allows keyword searching of full text of articles since 1989. (The Austin History Center maintains a paper index to earlier years.)
Provides access to collections in thousands of libraries, museums, and archives that have contributed nearly a million collection descriptions.
- Early American Newspapers
Includes more than 1,000 U.S. historical newspapers published between 1690 and 1922.
- Dallas Morning News Archive - 1885 – 1977
Provides comprehensive coverage for one of the largest daily newspapers in Texas. Select the link to World Newspaper Archive.
Online union catalog describing the collections of thousands of libraries around the world.
- Arntzen, Etta. Guide to the Literature of Art History 2. Chicago: American Library Association, 1980. N 380 A76
Art and architectural history bibliography that includes general reference sources, primary and secondary sources, periodicals and books in series
- Ehresmann, Donald L. Architecture : a bibliographic guide to basic Reference works, histories, and handbooks. Littleton, CO, 1984. NA 2520 E38 1984
General works on the history of architecture, landscape architecture and city design, arranged by period.
- Karpel, Bernard. Arts in America : A Bibliography. Washington: Smithsonian Insitution Press, 1979. NX 203 A1 A777
Annotated bibliography and useful list of periodicals, theses, and visual resources.
- Marmor, Max. Guide to the Literature of Art History 2. Chicago, American Library Association, 2005. N 380 M374 2005
- Profile: The Sourcebook of U.S. Architectural Design Firm. Atlanta, GA: Construction Market Data, 1998-2004. NA 53 P76
- International Archive of Women in Architecture Biographical Database
- Steely, James Wright, comp. A Catalog of Texas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places. Austin, TX: Texas Historical Commission, 1984. F 387 S81
More current information may be found at the National Register of Historic Places
- Emanuel, Muriel, ed. Contemporary Architects. New York: St. James Press, 1994. NA 40 C6 1994
- Hafertepe, Kenneth. Abner Cook, Master Builder on the Texas Frontier. Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1992. NA 737 C66 H3 1992
- Placzeck, Adolf K., editor-in-chief. Macmillan Encyclopedia of Architects. New York: The Free Press, 1982. NA 40 M25 1982
- Reese, Carol McMichael. Paul Cret at Texas: Architectural Drawing and the Image of the University in the 1930s. Austin, University of Texas at Austin, 1983. NA 737 C74 M337
Also available online
- National Trust for Historic Preservation, Maddex, Diane, general editor. Landmark Yellow Pages. Washington D.C.: Preservation Press, 1990. E 159 L28 1990
- Texas Society of Architects Committee on Historic Resources. The Texas Historical Preservation Manual. Dallas: Texas Society of Architects, 1977. NA 105 T493 1977
- Handbook of Texas Online (TSHA)
- American Institute of Architects, Houston Chapter and Stephen Fox. Houston Architectural Guide. Houston: AIA, Houston Chapter: Herring Press, Austin, Tex., 1990. NA 735 H68 F69 1990
- Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Texas. Texas, A Guide to the Lone Star State. New York: Hastings House, 1969. F 391 W95 1969
- Smith, G. E. Kidder. The Architecture of the United States. Garden City, NY: Anchor Press, 1981. NA 705 S578 V.1-3
- Robinson, Willard Bethurem. Texas Public Buildings of the Nineteenth Century. Austin: The University of Texas Press, 1974. NA 730 T5 R62 1974
- Alexander, Drury Blakeley. Texas Homes of the Nineteenth Century. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1966. NA 7235 T4 A54
- Henry, Jay C. Architecture in Texas, 1895 - 1945. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1993. NA 730 T5 H46 1993
- Smith, Hank Todd. Since 1886, A History of the Texas Society of Architects. Austin: Texas Societ of Architects, 1983. NA 11 S647 1983
- Southwest Center for Urban Research and Rice University. Houston Architectural Survey, 1980. NA 735 H6 H687
- Speck, Lawrence W. Landmarks of Texas Architecture. Austin: The University of Texas Press, 1986. NA 730 T5 S64
- Tomlinson, Doug and David Dillon. Dallas Architecture, 1936 to 1986. Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1985. NA 735 D2 T65 1985
- Williamson, Roxanne Kater. Austin, Texas, An American Architectural History. San Antonio: Trinity University Press, 1973. NA 735 A88 W5
A standard keyword search in the Library Catalog brings up theses, professional reports and dissertations, along with all other pertinent items.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses - Full Text
This database of more than 2 million doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Full text is available for most titles written after 1997. Coverage goes back to 1861.
- Finding Dissertation, Theses and Reports
A guide to finding these resources at UT and beyond.
- Alexander Architectural Archive
- Briscoe Center for American History
Eugene C. Barker Texas History Collection, the most extensive collection of books, manuscripts, maps, newspapers, photographs, and recordings related to Texas
UT Archives, comprised of adminstrative papers of UT Departments and personal papers of leading academics
- Austin History Center
Over 60,000 architectural drawings and documents from projects designed by over 150 local firms
Holdings are listed in the Austin Public Library online catalog and Portal to Texas History Web site
- The Texas State Library and Archive Commission
Collects official records of Texas government and other significant historical resources
- Texas Historic Site Atlas
Indexes information on over 200,000 historic and archeological Texas sites